St. Paul Lutheran Church has been in existence since February 15, 1872. Its history is “a story marked by courage and frailty, success and failure.” The success of St. Paul Lutheran Church comes from the Spirit of God that lives in each one of us; the scripture we live by, and the Lord we call upon for all that we do.”
The ancestors, mostly from Germany, of St. Paul Lutheran Church’s congregation immigrated to the United States in the 1850’s.
In the early 1870’s several Lutheran families living in Mason County and the town of Mason desired to organize their church in the town of Mason. The first meeting was held in 1871 when three families gathered in one of their homes. Pastor Ernst Huber was called to serve as the missionary for the area.
The first church building was built in 1873 with a small room included for the minister’s living quarters.
St. Paul called their first pastor, Pastor Johan Stricker, installing him on January 24, 1875.
In 1877 Pastor Stricker married making it necessary for the congregation to build a parsonage. The parsonage was enlarged four times until a new structure was built in 1963 and the old one was remodeled into offices and classrooms.
On May 23, 1904, the congregation voted to build a new church.
The dedication of the new building was held on April 30, 1905.
When he arrived in Mason Pastor Ziehe expressed his desire for a cross atop the church steeple.
German was the language used for services and instruction until World War I made it necessary to change to English. At the end of the war, the leadership of the church decided to continue speaking English in Sunday School because the children could not speak German. The adults felt differently about church services and voted to go back to German.
In 1921 the final enlargement to the parsonage was made for the new minister, Pastor Heinrich, and his family of eleven children. This building was later remodeled to serve as an office building.
Pastor Heinrich led the transition to English in all phases of church activities. He was also responsible for the organization of the youth into the Luther League.
In 1953 the church was remodeled and enlarged to its current design.
Pastor Alfred Doerfler was instrumental in encouraging cooperation and the establishment of amicable relationships among the churches of the community. He was the first Lutheran pastor to be invited to speak from the pulpit of another church in Mason.
In 1887 members of the church voted “Widows and single women are expected to contribute to the pastor’s salary, but they shall not have the right to vote on any matters.” In contrast, sixty-three years later, in 1950, the members of St. Paul Lutheran Church elected a woman to the Church Council.
The Chrismon ministry was originated by Mrs. Frances Spencer of the Ascension Lutheran Church in Danville, Virginia. In 1963 50 ladies of St. Paul Lutheran Church created their first Chrismon Tree, making by hand the Chrismon ornaments still being used today. The evergreen tree, which symbolizes the eternal life which our Savior has won for us, forms the background for tiny white lights and white and gold Chrismon symbols/monograms. The lights speak of He who is the Light of the World. The Chrismon ornaments proclaim the Name, the Life, and the Saving act of Jesus. White is the liturgical color for Christmas and suggests the innocence, purity, and perfection of our Savior. It is the color of joy and light. Gold is a symbol of the glory and majesty of God and the Son of God. While there are numerous combinations, each embraces the basic concepts of the cross, circle, star, and Greek and Latin Letters. To preserve the spirit of Chrismon, they are only made by hand and given as a gift.
Pastor Ted Steenblock was a leader and founding member of the Ministerial Alliance in Mason County. During Pastor Steenblock’s ministry at St. Paul a new brick parsonage was built, and the old parsonage was remodeled into Sunday School classrooms and offices.
In 1972 Pastor Arnold Windecker led St. Paul in celebrating the 100th birthday of the congregation.
In 1994 the groundbreaking ceremony was held for the present Fellowship Hall.
Pastor Fred Krebs is the current pastor of St. Paul Lutheran Church. He is the twenty-first pastor to serve the congregation since its beginning in 1872.
St. Paul Lutheran’s outreach program is reaching children in the community. Children’s Church is held in the renovated auditorium of the Sunday School Building. The service is held on the last Sunday of each month during the regular church service.
St. Paul Lutheran Church’s mission is to hear the Word of God; share the Word of God, and proclaim the Word of God.